DEFINITION OF RAGGING
Any disorderly conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which Causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or a skiing the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student”.
WHAT CONSTITUTES RAGGING?
- Any conduct by words spoken or written or an act which has the effect of teasing, threading or handling with rudeness to a fresher or any other student.
- Financial extortion or act of forceful expenditure.
- Physical abuses
- Rowdy/undisciplined activities, which cause or are likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical/psychological harm or fear or apprehension in any student.
- Forcing a student to do an act, which generates sense of shame, torment or embarrassment affecting his/her physique or psyche.
- Any act which prevents/disturbs/disrupts regular academic activities assignment to a student.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student.
- Any act affecting mental health and self-confidence of student with or without any intent to derive a sadistic pleasure showing off power, authority or superiority.
- To Curb the Menace of Ragging in Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre.
- Anti-Ragging Policy-Ragging is strictly banned in the premises of Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre. If anybody found indulging in such activities, strict action will be taken irrespective of the extent.
- To prevent ragging in the College and also take proper action against those whose are indulging into it.
- To root out ragging in all its forms from the institution by prohibitingit by law and preventing its occurrence by following the provisions of the Regulations of Supreme Court, and UGC.
- Spell out suitable punishments to those found guilty
CONSTITUTION OF ANTI-RAGGING COMMITTEE
- An anti-ragging committee will be constituted by the head of the institute comprising:
c)Members (Minimum 4 members) including the wardens of girls and boys hostel.
- The committee should monitor carefully any ragging incidences in the college premises, canteen, college buses,
- The committee may constitute two squads –one for boys hostel containing male faculties (Minimum 4members) and another for girls hostel containing female faculties (Minimum 4 members).
- The committee should meet conduct minimum of twomeetings biannually.
- The committee should be re-constituted every three years.
- To monitor an undertaking in the prescribed format from the candidate concerned on anti-ragging at the time of admission.
- To address the students and parents by the head of the institutions on anti-ragging committee.
- To arrange to send letters to parents, guardians of the students at the end of the academic year for creation of awareness.
- To form monitoring cells (Anti-ragging squads faculties for surprise raids).
- To suggest measures to tighten the security
Functions of the Anti-Ragging Committee
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS AS MENTIONED ABOVE
1. The faculty members can take the help of the member students as and when required and can also involve them in different activities relating to Anti-Ragging Committee.
2.Keep an alert eye to avoid any of ragging incidence.
3.Walk around the campus to ensure that there is no such activity taking place.
4.Keep reminding students about the severe actions which could be taken against them if they are found involved or indulged in ragging.
5.Make students aware of their respective Institution about the rules and regulations of Anti-Ragging.
6.Informing students about the affidavit and encourage students to fill and submit it in time.
7.Taking ownership in making the environment of the campus absolutely free from Ragging.
8.Actively participation in monthly meeting of Anti-Ragging Committee or as per the scheduled informed to them from time to time.
9.Identify and keep in close observation of the sensitive places of the institute where such incidents can take place.
10.For each ragging incident, the member person is supposed to prepare and submit a complete report including their remarks about the incident for further action to the Head of Anti-Ragging Committee.
11.If any such incident is reported to member or member himself/herself comes across such incidents, he/she has to immediately try to get connected telephonically/face to face to the group of students found/reported to indulge in ragging.
12.The member person will immediately investigate about such incident and will take in written from the doer and the culprit.
13.The member person will also try to collect the information Oral and Written from the witnesses and will put remarks of the witness in the report.
14.Simultaneously, the member person will immediately bring to the notice of Head of Anti-Ragging Committee about such happening as first information and later on will submit an exhaustive report to the Heads for further process and action.
15.Since the gravity of the incident will be decided by the report which will get reflected into the decision of the degree of punishment for the defaulter, it is expected from the each member person that they make/develop the report with utmost sincerity and care.
16.Each such report submitted to the Head of Anti-Ragging Committee will be further investigated by their own resources in order to reach to a right judgment & appropriate decision.
17.The member faculty of each stream of Anti-Ragging Committee will be in close touch with the heads regarding the report they have submitted to the Head. His/her responsibility will not be over just by submitting the report; rather they may also be expected to be a part of decision. Thus, they are supposed to be in touch with the Head till the final verdict upon the case submitted has come out.
18.Each nominated member of the committee is expected to abide by the SOP.
- A Formal complaint will be filed with the Anti-ragging committee/Chairman/ member/ members of anti-ragging s quads.
- Authenticity of the case will be examined by the members deputed by the chairman.
- Initiation of the enquiry process by the by the members deputed by the chairman.
- After a formal enquiry, the report will be forwarded to the Head of the Institution.
- Appropriate penalty actions will be recommended to the Head of the Institution as per law
PROTOCOL TO BE FOLLOWED IN CASE OF INCIDENCE OF RAGGING
The following are the penalties that may be imposed on a student.
- Oral/Written Warning.
- Suspension from the class for a week
- Suspension from the class for a week
- Prevention from appearing University Exams
- Prevention form T & P facilities.
- Suspension from Hostel.
- Rustication from college.
ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION IN THE EVENT OF RAGGING
The institution shall punish a student found guilty of ragging after following the procedure and in the manner prescribed herein as under:
- The Anti-Ragging Committee of the Institution shall take an appropriate decision, in regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging established in the recommendations of the Anti-Ragging Squad.
- The Anti-Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt established by the Anti-Ragging Squad, award, to those found guilty, one or more of the following punishments, namely:
i. Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
ii. Withholding/ withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
iii. Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation process.
iv. Withholding results.
v. Debarring from representing the institution in anyregional, national or internationalmeet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
vi. Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel.
vii. Cancellation of admission. viii.Rustication from the institution for period ranging from one to four semesters. ix.Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period. Provided that where the persons committing or abetting the act of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
- An appeal against the order of punishment by the Anti-Ragging Committee shall ie,
i. In case of an order of an institution, affiliated to or constituent part, of a University, to the Vice-Chancellor of the University;
ii. In case ofan order of a University, to its Chancellor
iii. In case of an institution of national importance created byan Act of Parliament, to the Chairman or Chancellor of the institution, as the case may be.
ACTION TO BE TAKEN BY THE HEAD OF THE INSTITUTION
On receipt of the recommendations of the Anti-Ragging Squad or on receipt of any information concerning any reported incident of ragging, the Head of institution shall immediately determine if a case under the penal laws is made out and if so, either on his own or through a member of the Anti-Ragging Committee authorized by him in this behalf, proceed to file a First Information Report (FIR), within twenty four hours of receipt of such information or recommendation, with the police and local authorities, under the appropriate penal provisions relating to one or more of the following, namely;
- Abetment to ragging;
- Criminal conspiracy to ragging;
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging;
- Public nuisance created during ragging;
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging;
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt;
- Wrongful restraint;
- Wrongful confinement;
- Use of criminal force;
- Assault as well sexual offences or unnatural offences;
- Criminal trespass;
- Offences against property;
- Criminal intimidation;
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victims;
- Threat to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victims;
- Physical or psychological humiliation;
- All other offences following from the definition of “Ragging”.
Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre, Moradabad, UP Anti-Ragging CommitteeCharter
- Official Title: The Committee will be called as the Anti-Ragging Committee.
- Constitution Date: 30-11-2009, the committee was reconstituted on 18-08-2012
- Authority: The Committeehas been established under the authority pursuant to the directives issued by the chairman Prof. Dr. Swatantra Agarwal, Principal, Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre, Moradabad.
- Objectives: The objectivesof this committee are as follows:
- Create a ragging free atmosphere within and outside the campus premises.
- Generate awareness among students regarding any acts and punishment pertaining to ragging activities.
- Create cordial relations amongstudents for fulfilling organizational mission, vision, aims and objectives.
- Create awareness among students regarding how the self-confidenceof the individual influences the national interest.
- Devise mechanism for receiving, processing and addressing all information regarding incidence of ragging.
- Devise and promulgate a credible anti-ragging policy in college.
- Advise Academic Council and Disciplinary Committee on new policies or directives on handling cases of ragging(as applicable)from time to time.
- Provide training and guidance to all staff and students on handling all complaints regarding ragging.
- Timely address grievances of stakeholders and especially those related to gender sensitivity issues including sexual harassment of women.
- Sensitization of employees towards cases of ragging.
- Seek advice of expert to handle complicated grievance cases related to ragging apart from advise by other committee(s)/ subcommittee(s)
- Compile/ submit biannual basis, the grievance summary report (on cases related toragging) if any along with recommendations.
- Maintain all records, statements, actions and other correspondences related to ragging cases
- Discuss major cases of ragging to generate awareness amongst students and faculty.